July 30 – SCHOOLS OF CANADA

SCHOOLS OF CANADA

Ville-Marie was the 26th school taken charge of by the Brothers in Canada since their arrival in 1888. It was then the most far off from the Provincial House of Montreal: 800 km to the north-east. Until then one had not risked to go beyond the county of Champlain at 200 km (Saint-Stanislas in 1894 and Saint-Paulin in 1898), and one ventured in 1920 up to Saint-Romuald, facing the city of Quebec, on the Southern shore of St Lawrence River. All other schools were situated in Montreal and in a restricted range around the city. But from the beginning of the Second World War (1939) until the division of the Province in two (1953) there would be more Institutions founded in the region of Trois Rivieres (9) than in Montreal (3). Among the very few schools opened after 1953, we shall mention the northernmost, that of Barraute (1961), in Abitibi, half way between the StLawrence and the bay of Hudson, and the only one in Ontario, Earlton (1966). In all, without counting the houses of formation nor the seven ecclesiastical schools where small numbers taught for a short time, the Brothers have been running 42 schools in Canada. While their presence was relatively brief in about fifteen schools, they have on the other hand been managing for more than 60 years ten Institutions:

Sainte-TMrese-de-Blainville (76 yrs),

Saint-Stanislas-de-Champlain (75 yrs), L’Assomption (74 yrs),

Saint-Tite (71 yrs),

Sainte-Rose-de-Laval (70 yrs),

Saint-Jacques-de-Montcalm (68 yrs), Orphelinat Saint-Arsene (66 yrs),

Saint-Martin-de-Laval (65 yrs),

Ville-des-Laurentides (64 yrs),

Patronage St-Vincent-de-Paul (60 yrs).

To teaching, which was the same as given in all the primary schools of Canada, the Brothers added many co-curricular activities: games and sports, plays, musical bands, gardening, pious movements and Catholic Action (See 12 June, 6 October and 28 November)

Date

Jul 30

Time

All Day