August 16 – AN UNPRECEDENTED EXPANSION

AN UNPRECEDENTED EXPANSION

The twenty years that followed the Second World War were the ones when the Institute made the greatest expansion in terms of membership and new countries, houses of formation and schools opened.

Number of Brothers. From 1-1-1946 to 1-1-1966 the increase was from 1200 to 1800 professed Brothers.

Countries. The new countries counted 11: five in Africa (Senegal, Congo­ Brazzaville, Central Africa, Cameroon, Rwanda), four in America (Brazil, the United States, Colombia, Peru), two in Asia (Sri Lanka, Iraq).

Provinces. A dozen Provinces were erected: Belgium (1947), Italy (1947), India (1948), Thailand (1948), West France (1950) and Northwest (1950), Montreal and Champlain (1953), West-Centre (1957).

Houses of formation. The novitiate of Lontzen, started on 16 August 1958 had four of its likes from 1946 to 1966: one in Italy (south of Rome, in a place called Le Capannelle), one in the Congo (in Brazzaville), one in Malaysia (in Port Dickson) and one in France (at La Hilliere).

There were seven new scholasticates: one ih Malaysia (in Georgetown), one in Canada (in Montreal), one in France (at Avrille) and four in India (in Madras, Tindivanam, Kazipet and Ranchi).

The juniorates were still more numerous: eighteen opened in less than twenty years, fourteen junior and four senior.

Schools. On an average, ten new ones per year, from one continent to another. We shall see for example the year 1955. India consolidated its position at Hyderabad by opening a new school (St Paul’s) and by starting a Boys’ Town (St Mark’s); it established itself in Kazipet in Andhra Pradesh and gained the north for the first time at Sardhana (Uttar Pradesh) and Noatoli (Bihar). A first school was opened in Malaysia at Johore Bahru. The Province of Canada took root in two towns: South Shawinigan and Sherbrooke. In France, Brothers were sent to three new primary schools: to Angers (Saint-Augustin), Remouille and Isse, and to an Institution of deaf and dumb at Strasbourg. Madagascar finally enlarged its field of action iri Majunga by starting a training school.

It was the same profusion of works six years later in 1961. India opened its Provincial House at Yercaud, a school at Lachragarh in Bihar, and a second Boys’ Town with a technical school at Manjampatty in Tamilnadu. Thailand took charge of two parish schools in Bangkok and founded the school in Thonburi. Malaysia acquired a novitiate in Port Dickson and a scholasticate in Georgetown. The Congo saw in Brazzaville the birth of a primary and secondary school at Ouenze. Senegal gained the capital Dakar with the primary and secondary school of Saint-Pierre. Spain sent Brothers to the school in Ripollet near Barcelona and to the Institution for the deaf and dumb at Medellin in Colombia. Canada went to the north at Barraute. France finally took back the school of Pin, took over the management of the biggest school of the region of Nantes at Vertou and offered its young student Brothers the university scholasticate of Avrille near Angers.

Date

Aug 16

Time

All of the day

Next Event