Gabrielite Brothers mark tercentenary of Founder’s death
KINARUT- MALAYSIA: The Brothers of St Gabriel marked the 300th anniversary of their Founder’s death and origins of their congregation on 10 April 2016. Vicar General Msgr Primus Jouil concelebrated the Mass with Fr Thomas Madanan at St Paul’s Chapel on the Hill at the Montfort Youth Training Centre (MYTC) here. Despite the slight drizzle, the trainees and staff of the training centre, divided into ten groups, walked in procession towards the chapel, carrying their banners before the Mass. Over two hundred people joined the Brothers, Board of Governors, staff, trainees, benefactors, and lay associates in the celebration. Prior to the Mass, the ninth day of novena prayer to Mary Queen of All Hearts was prayed by those present.
In his welcoming speech during the fellowship dinner, Provincial Superior Br Francis Chua thanked all those who were involved in the establishment of MYTC right from the outset like Abp Emeritus John Lee who opened the door for them to enter the archdiocese, the Light of Jesus Christ Covenant Community (1986) and the Daughters of St Paul (1998). While having dinner the diners were entertained by the trainees through song, choral or skit performances.
The Brothers came to Singapore at the end of 1936, to Johor in 1955 and to Sabah in 1998. Today they run the Montfort Boys Town in Shah Alam (1959), the Montfort Youth Training Centre Kinarut (1999) and the Montfort Youth Centre Melaka (2001). These institutions cater to those youths who have dropped out of school, and provide them with vocational skills training and character formation. In Sabah, the Brothers also take care of San Damiano (Boys) Hostel Kiulu (2011), and St Mary’s Youth Hostel Sandakan (2014).